Books, cats and fine wine are the best things in life.

Facebook

Friday, January 10, 2014

#Humor - More About "The Three Sister" & #Author Bryan Taylor

10:30 AM Posted by Unknown , , No comments
Can you tell us about your main character?
There are actually three main characters since the book is about three former nuns who get in trouble with the law.  Coito Gott is the rebel who had religion shoved down her throat and rebels against her background.  She is the most sacrilegious of the three and also the wittiest and most incisive.  Theodora Suora is the opposite of Coito Gott and always wants to do the right thing.  She is risk-averse, intellectual, and loves Shakespeare and Bach.  She is organized while Coito loves anarchy. Theodora grounds Coito, and though Coito would never admit it, she needs Theodora to keep Coito from spinning out of control.  Regina is the most fun-loving of the three.  She had a close brush with death when she was a nun, so she wants to live life to the fullest.  She enjoys the exoteric while Theodora loves the esoteric.  She is a big fan of popular music, old movies, or anything having to do with popular culture.
Who designed the cover?
I conceptualized the cover.  The book takes place in Washington D.C. with three nuns, so I was able to put all those elements into the cover.  They walk on water and have sexy habits so the sacrilegious part is illustrated there.  Moreover, if you look, the clouds around the Washington Monument form a cross.  I had a great illustrator, Brent Schreiber, who was able to convert my concept into reality.
Who is your publisher?
My publisher is Dragon Tree Books. I had contacted Erica Orloff to edit my book, and she also provided a publishing service. We worked well together on the editing of the book, so I decided she would be a natural to help get the book published.  She was very supportive of my ideas and my book in ways I think would have been difficult to achieve through a mainstream publisher, and I appreciated that.
Why did you choose to write this particular book?
I had put together the plot of the novel in college through a serial I wrote.  This gave me the plot and the characters, so the foundations of the novel were laid.  I just didn’t realize it would be 35 years before it would actually be published.
What was the hardest part about writing this book?
The book has quite an unusual plot in every aspect, so the hardest part was making the characters and plot credible without the reader going, this is strange.  The Three Sisters is one case where fiction may be stranger than truth, but I had to make sure the book was incredible, not incredulous. The book is set in 1979, and my version of what happened in 1979 significantly differs from what most historians would have us believe.
How do you promote this book?
I promote the book mainly through social media.  I don’t have a mainstream publisher to help promote the book, and my day job prevents me from traveling, so social media is the natural choice.  This includes my own website, www.threesistersnovel.com, a blog on the website, a Facebook page, Pinterest page, Amazon Author page, Goodreads, etc.  The only thing I didn’t do was Twitter. I also am on three virtual book tours to keep interest in the book.
Will you write others in this same genre?
If I follow this up with a second work of fiction, it would definitely be in the satire and humor category.  Most people find the book laugh out loud funny because I twist reality in unusual ways.  This worked in The Three Sisters, so it should work in future books as well.
Have you included a lot of your life experiences, even friends, in the plot?
Each of the three sisters have some aspects of my personality, but as for the plot of the book, it has little to do with my life experiences.  I have never been a nun; I do not have a Catholic background; I have never spoken to the Pope.  I could go on, but it would give away the plot of the book.
Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?
Since the book is set in Washington D.C., I did go to the capital in order to make sure I had been to the sites that are used in the novel.  I never went to a nunnery or tried to gain admission to one.  Maybe I should have.
Can we expect any more books from you in the future?
Most people who have read the book have asked me if there will be a sequel, and I wouldn’t want to disappoint my readers, so I will write more books in the future.
What are your current writing projects now?
I have two blogs that I write.  One is the Nuns’ Blog which I write for The Three Sisters, and the second is the financial blog I write for Global Financial Data.  I hope and anticipate that these blogs will eventually develop themselves into a full length book or collection of articles, hopefully a work of fiction from The Nuns’ Blog and a non-fiction  and book from the financial blog.
Are you reading any interesting books at the moment?
Right now I am reading The Great Salad Oil Swindle about Tino De Angelis who was a businessman who swindled the government, American Express and dozens of others.  I have to admit that I am fascinated by swindlers and their personality.  At some point I will write a book about the greatest swindler of all time whose personality is a component of all his real-life predecessors.
What are some of the best tools available today for writers, especially those just starting out?
I hate to state the obvious but the internet is the best tool available.  When I originally wrote The Three Sisters, there was no internet.  Every time I needed to find out about something, I had to go to the library and check out a book, look something up, verify data.  It was a very time-consuming process.  Today, you just go on line and most of what you need is at your fingertips.  Writers today who never knew what the world was like before the internet don’t know how easy they have it.
TheThreeSisters
Nuns just want to have fun! But when three former Catholic nuns have too much fun and get in trouble with the law, they become nuns on the run.
Driving back to Washington D.C. where they work at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Parts, the three sisters are arrested in Tennessee. After defeating the local deputy in strip poker, they escape from jail, and are pursued by the zealous Detective Schmuck Hole, who has personally offered a $10,000 reward for their capture on The 700 Club. Little do they know that when the three sisters visit the Washington Monument, their lives will change forever.
Set in 1979, The Three Sisters is a sacrilegious satire that skewers not only organized religion, but the government, the media, intellectuals, corporate greed and every other part of the establishment. Maybe not the greatest story ever told, but possibly the funniest.
Buy @ Amazon
Genre – Humor, Satire, Catholicism, Politics
Rating – R
More details about the author
Connect with Bryan Taylor on Facebook

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive