Books, cats and fine wine are the best things in life.

Facebook

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Author Interview – Justin Blaney

7:30 AM Posted by Unknown , No comments

Why do you write?

I know I’m supposed to write for myself and I’m learning to do that. That’s the cool answer for writers at least. But I started to write because I knew I always wanted to write a book and I didn’t want all my dreams to just stay dreams. In other words, I did it to check that accomplishment off my very long list of things I want to do. As I got into writing and started hearing from people who read my work, I became hooked on positive feedback. It was such a rush to hear that someone liked what I had created. But I found that this was a short lived sensation (ironically, the negative feedback stayed with me a lot longer than the positive feedback). I’ve been writing for about 4 years pretty steadily and I can honestly say that I’m enjoying writing for me more than I ever have before. I care less what people think though it’s always nice to hear from fans. I have a feeling in a few more years I’ll be even closer to saying that the only reason I write is for me. I know when I don’t write I go a little insane (OK, my wife would say, a lot insane). So, in that sense, I’m writing for both me and my family so they don’t have to deal with my lunacy when I’m abstaining from the keyboard.

Have you always enjoyed writing?

I hated writing for many years. I never would have thought of writing as a hobby or career. I remember in Writing 101 hearing other people read their short stories out loud and being amazed at how they could use words to bring something from their imagination to life. I never thought I could learn to do it too, nor did I want to. It wasn’t until sometime around 2007 that I realized I was actually getting pretty good at writing (essays and school papers at least). On my GMAT, which is a test I had to take to get into graduate school, I earned a perfect score on my writing and was totally surprised. Except for that one class I never sat down to write a single fiction sentence until I decided to write Evan Burl and the Falling. It’s been four years since I started that journey and my love for writing has grown with every word typed.

What writing are you most proud of?

In terms of writing examples I do a fairly wide variety of writing including screen plays for commercials (Microsoft), academic writing for the scholar community, fundraising scripts for animated and live action nonprofit videos, personal blogging, education and training materials, children’s picture books, and of course, long form fiction. It’s hard to pick one type of writing that I’m most proud of because I enjoy them all.

What are you most proud of in your personal life?

I consider my personal life a success by being married to my wonderful wife Anna for 14 years and having three daughters who love me.

What books did you love growing up?

Growing up Ender’s Game was my favorite science fiction book. I loved almost all Roald Dahl’s books. There was one series I was particularly fond of called The Great Brain. When I was younger, I remember spending a lot of time with Frog and Toad, and Little Bear.

Evan Burl

My father abandoned me when I was an infant.
My friends have turned against me.
My uncle beats me.
The most powerful men in the world want me dead.
They all have one thing in common.
They think I’m turning into a monster.

I’m starting to worry they’re right.

Genre - Young Adult

Rating – PG

facebook_ad_3 200

Connect with Justin Blaney on his website

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive